19 June ’04, Saturday. Our campground was quite different from any we have been in before. What made it different, was there was only 3 of us that were “camping” and all the others had rented “bungalows” that are found on the campgrounds. Not only had they rented the bungalows, they also had one heck of a Czech Party complete with camp fire. A good time was had. We pulled out and headed back into Mariánské Lázne for the morning.
Mariánské Lázne was founded in 1193 by the grandee Hroznata, a later prior of the monastery. Thomas Edison proclaimed that there is no more beautiful spa in the entire world when he visited in 1911. This town is an “electrifying freeform collection of romantic turn of the century Art Noveau hotels, pensions, colonnades, and promenades.
Many other famous people have visited this spa including Mark Twain, Kipling, Chopin, Strauss, Wagner, Freud to name just a few. Again, this town is known for the special spring waters and their healing powers. As we were walking around the area of the springs, people were drinking water from “their own cups”. There was even a nice storage area that the “regulars” could store their cups in. Each time they wanted a drink, they would check-out their cup and enjoy the “spring waters”. We had to be part of the party so we bought a cup and joined in with the drinking of the “spring waters”. This town has some of the most beautiful buildings that are set in the hills above the town and right in the middle of some very nice forested areas.
The streets and the sidewalks are wide and flow in nice arching way to enhance the beautiful lines of the buildings, gardens, and parks. It was 2pm and we were on our way to Prague and with one potty stop taken we arrived at our campsite just outside of the big city in time for dinner. Now we will take it easy for a couple of days while waiting for Mikleane, Ric, Louise and Drew to arrive.